Arts on Douglas, a division of the Atlantic Center for the Arts, is now accepting submissions for the juried exhibition, Put a Bird on It - a visual exploration of the bird in contemporary art. The title of this exhibition is a satirical reference to the catchphrase “Put a Bird on It” made popular by the TV series Portlandia in which two characters working as interior décor specialists visit businesses and homes to put "birds" on a variety of objects, thus deeming these objects to be works of art. For this exhibition, we are looking for submissions that move beyond the bird as a trendy marketing gimmick, in order to defend the rightful place of birds as a subject in fine art.
This call for artists is open to Florida artists working in all media excluding video/sound and installation art. Only original artwork will be considered. Applicants must be 18 years or older. Applying artists must not have current gallery representation in Volusia County.*
Submission deadline: Saturday, April 20, 2019 (midnight)
Notification: Saturday, April 27, 2019
- 2D or 3D original artwork.
- Open to artists residing in Florida.
- All works submitted for exhibition must be available for sale.
- Include digital images for up to 5 pieces (jpg format)
- Attach a numbered image inventory that includes titles, media, dimensions (HxWxD), and retail prices (pdf or doc/docx file).
- Include Curriculum Vitae (artist resume) and/or biographical statement (pdf or doc/docx file).
- Image file titles must correspond to artwork titles used on the numbered inventory.
- Incomplete submissions will not be reviewed.
- All submissions must represent the actual artwork as closely as possible.
All submissions will be juried by an anonymous panel of art professionals collectively with the Gallery Director. Due to the volume of submissions received, we cannot accept phone inquiries, unsolicited submissions by email, mail, or unscheduled gallery visits for portfolio reviews. All applicants will be notified by e-mail.
*Please note: Arts on Douglas has an exclusivity agreement with the artists we represent. If you exhibit your work with or are represented by another gallery, art space or art center in Volusia County, as a courtesy to your current representative, your submission will not be reviewed.
Exhibition dates: June 1 – July 20, 2019
Opening reception: Saturday, June 1, 4 -7 PM
General Guidelines (if accepted):
- Artist must provide high resolution images of works selected for the exhibition for use on our website and for publicity purposes.
- Artist agrees to a 50/50 commission split of all sold works.
- Artist is responsible for the delivery or shipment of artwork to arrive between May 18-25, 2019 . Delivery of artwork can only be accepted during our regular hours of operation.
- Artist is responsible for the pick-up or return shipment of unsold artworks during gallery hours: July 23-27, 2019
- If Artist is shipping their artwork, they are responsible for round-trip shipping costs, including insurance, if applicable. The gallery is not responsible for damage incurred during shipment.